Thursday, November 13, 2008

I lost me to math...

So tonight was approximately the 4th night since I've started school where I have had a math meltdown.  Everytime I'm faced with a new concept to learn, or asked to solve a ridiculously inapplicable equation I get more and more frustrated.  Then finally I'm sitting on the couch/bed/chair with my face buried in my hands and my book is across the room splayed open on the floor like it had been torn apart by a hungry woodland animal.  I start thinking about the big picture and how as long as my academic career includes mathematics I am never going to be a successful student.  I will ALWAYS be hindered by a grade that is irrelevant to my kind of mind.

My brain was not wired to comprehend math

It is OBVIOUSLY wired to comprehend humanity, people, the human condition, pop culture, and the english language.  We all know you can't have both.  No one gets to own a cat and a dog without problems.  Sorry.

Then people tell me to get tutoring or help from my professor.  They say "It's available!" or "Utilize the resources you have!" and the first thing I think/say is:

"Why would I go OUT of my way to try to learn THIS?"  

Is this math shit important enough to any of you to go waste your time some more with supplemental assistance to aid you in your comprehension of this already totally obsolete information?

If it wasn't for math, I would be doing well, I wouldn't be made to feel inadequate in school.  The fact that I am forced, literally forced to take it my first quarter in college is annoying.  If I stay at Cal State East Bay I will be forced to take remedial math for the rest of the year.  This developmental class does NOT count towards my graduation requirements.  NEXT year, I start on math 1000 which is valid college math....NUFF SAID.

I find it very insulting that I have to take math still when my skills so OBVIOUSLY lie in another field of study.  

If I could find a REAL, actual literal REAL use for math then MAYBE i would care.  But I've never been in a position where I had to know how to graph inequalities.
I HAVE however been asked the definition "debauchery".  I've been asked by my peers at school to explain parts of the democratic process.  If you asked, I could explain the significance of Tupac and Biggie, as well as their similarities and differences.

If you see me on the street in 4 years, please stop me and ask about the current social climate of Hollywood.  I'll probably have the answer, but god help me if you ask me how much interest you're paying on your mortgage.




No comments: